Friday, March 19, 2010

St. Patrick's Day Irish Soda Bread

I got this recipe from my 1st grade teacher and I think have eaten it every St Patrick's Day since then 30ish? years ago.    Couldn't stand corn beef and cabbage growing up (I like it now), so my memories of St. Patrick's Day were eating this bread for dinner every year.  I think it is the best soda bread recipe ever.

Irish Soda Bread

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoon sugar & 3 Tablespoon for topping
3 Tablespoon shortening
2/3 cup raisins
1 cup buttermilk
2 Tablespoon melted butter

Mix flour, baking powder, soda, salt and 3 T sugar together.   Cut in shortening (use fork to make into crumbly bits).   Add buttermilk (if you don't have on hand, take one cup milk and add 1 T lemon or vinegar, then let set for 10 min).  Mix until well blended, but don't over mix.   Add raisins.  Put into 9" pie pan (if you happen to have a iron skillet, this works really well and I swear makes it a just a little more yummy).   Pour 2T of melted butter over top.  Sprinkle with remaining sugar.

Bake 40 minutes in 350 degree oven.

Enjoy! and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments: