Saturday, June 5, 2010

Roasted Leg of Lamb




This is one of my favorite dishes. Ever. 

I had my first meal of lamb when I was in Australia and I was immediately hooked. I love the rich, tender taste of the lamb mixed with the aioli mint sauce. I'd fix this once a week if my husband liked lamb as much as I do. He loves this roasted lamb, he's just not a fan of lamb in general, so I only get make it about 4 times a year. But whenever I do, all of my guests rave and clean their plates. 

This recipe came from my friend and co-blogger, Candy D.  And honestly, I've made it so often, I don't remember what was original from her and what I adapted. I only know that it is fabulous! And if you've always wanted to roast lamb, and never tried it, this is a great recipe to start with.  

I also make my own mint jelly, because I want real flakes of mint leaves, not green-food-colored apple juice blended with mint flavor (which is what most store brands consist of). 

I blend the homemade mint jelly with the aioli for a spectacular side-sauce.

Roast Lamb
  • 5 lb leg or roast of lamb
  • 10 - 12 cloves garlic, peeled but not minced
  • 2-4 sprigs rosemary, fresh, not dried
  • 1 tsp sea salt, or to taste
  • fresh pepper, to taste
  • olive oil
***Mint Aioli***
  • ½ cup mayonnaise, organic
  • 2 tablespoons mint, freshly chopped
  • 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
  • 1 ½ tsp white wine vinegar
  • sea salt, to taste
To make Aioli:

  • Mix together all ingredients. Cover and chill.
  • Note:  This can be made a day ahead.
To prep the lamb:
  • Rinse lamb, pat dry (water & oil do not mix)
  • Cut deep slits in meat, and fill each slit with a garlic clove.
  • Pour a little oil on your hands and rub onto lamb.
  • Mix together rosemary, sea salt and pepper in a small bowl.
  • Massage mixture onto oiled lamb.

For best results, allow to marinade overnight in the fridge.

When ready to cook:
  • Preheat oven to 425. I roast mine on convection roast; there is no need to adjust the temp.
  • Place into 425 oven for 10 minutes. Keep in mind I am cooking at high altitude, so you may need to adjust your time.
  • Reduce oven temperature to 325, and cook for about 35 minutes. Check often until a thermometer reaches at least 145.  I like my lamb just pink in the middle.
  • When desired temp is reached, remove lamb from oven, cover with foil and let it rest at least 5 minutes. The resting is critical to allow flavors to meld and attain moist, flavorful lamb.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do. ~ Laurie
  •  

No comments: