Searching for a sweet treat to take along to a Memorial Day celebration? Try these moist cupcakes and you'll be sure to please your guests. If your family doesn't eat them all first. You'll be hard-pressed to convince others that a recipe so fabulous could actually contain zucchini. Maybe you don't need to bother sharing that secret.
This is one of my favorite recipes which I most recently made for a baby shower, and happily pleased the girlfriends who showed up.
Here's what you need:
This will make 12 regular cupcakes and 24 mini-cupcakes
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups honey
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- ⅔ cup cocoa, dark, unsweetened
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup dark chocolate pieces, chopped
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoon rice milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
On to the mixing and baking:
- Preheat oven to 325 standard or 300 convection.
- In a large bowl stir together zucchini, eggs, honey, oil and vanilla. Blend well.
- In a separate bowl, stir flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, baking powder and chocolate pieces.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture.
- Fill lined cupcake molds no more than half full.
- Bake in convection oven for 20 minutes for regular size cupcakes or 11 minutes for mini cupcakes.
- Cool completely, then frost.
Whip up the Frosting:
- Beat peanut butter, butter, rice milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in powdered sugar and mix until combined.