Tuesday, November 9, 2010

White Chocolate & Craisin Scones



Ingredients:
1 cup butter
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups flour
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup craisins
1 cup white chocolate chips

Instructions:
Combine flour, soda, baking powder, and sugar in a mixing bowl; blend together.

Cube cold butter and blend into the mixture until it becomes small crumbs.

Mix together the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; add to the butter/flour mixture.   Mix just until blended.

Add the craisins and white chocolate chips.  Mix just until well blended.  Don't overmix!!

Divide dough in half.  Form into two 9" circles.  Cut each circle into 8 pie shape wedges. (I actually do this last step after I bake it, though you'll need to increase the cooking time a bit if you leave it in a large lump for cooking---see picture below)

Bake 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until light golden brown.

Verdict:
I've had several requests from family and friends asking for this recipe, so here it finally is.  If you don't think you like scones, you'll have to try this recipe.   I haven't found anyone who doesn't like it.   I made it for company the other day and it had been so long since I've made these I almost forgot how good they are.   I think its a great excuse for eating cake for breakfast!   Of course, can't beat tea and scones for any meal or snack of the day as far as this Tea Queen is concerned!  

Don't worry about doing substitutes either.   I didn't have buttermilk in the house so I made my own by adding 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice to regular milk (any percentage is fine) and letting it set for about 10 minutes (while I was mixing the other stuff).   I also couldn't find any white chocolate chips so just used regular.   I ultimately prefer the white chocolate in this recipe, but regular milk chocolate worked just fine!

~Denise

No comments: