Thursday, September 17, 2009

Easy Steel Cut Oatmeal








I love oatmeal. My kids love oatmeal. I don't know about you, but I never have time in the morning to make oatmeal, especially steel cut oats as they take over an hour to cook. I got a wonderful tip from a friend about how to make it in the crockpot. This is super easy and totally works. If you want to cook it all night, you'll need to use steel cut oatmeal (which is super healthy). It works with regular oatmeal, too, but only if you wake up in the middle of the night because regular oatmeal only needs about 2 hours of cooking time. If steel cut, you can throw it in the slowcooker before you head to bed and it will be ready in the morning. Even if you wake up late!

EASY STEEL CUT OATMEAL

Ingredients:
1 cup Steel cut Oatmeal (the super healthy kind)
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 cups water
2 cups milk (I used rice milk)

Mix up ingredients in a cookware dish that is oven safe and fits in your crockpot. I have a round corningware dish that fits snugly in the top of my crockpot with just enough clearance to put the crockpot lid on. Add a small amount of water in the bottom of the crockpot about just enough to cover the bottom. Place dish on top. Leave that dish uncovered, but then cover the crockpot with the crockpot lid. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Warm, yummy, healthy oatmeal for breakfast!!! Our favorite toppings are maple syrup, fresh cut up fruit (raisins on the quick days), and milk.



No comments: