Oh do I have a treat for my diary-free friends tonight! I made some fabulous desserts for Christmas that I am so excited to share with you. I can't wait to hear how they turn out for you too!
First, I made this incredible chocolate cream pie because this is my dad's favorite dessert, and, oh my! I can't even tell you how long it has been since I have had chocolate cream pie. Well, mainly because it is just that - - a cream pie. And when's the last time you went to Marie Callendars and asked for a dairy free cream pie. Yeah. That's what I thought.
Girlfriends, get ready to indulge...
First, the crust. Roll out your favorite pie crust recipe. I was lucky to have my mom work her magic for me:
Now the ingredients for the amazing pie itself.
- 14 oz. coconut milk
- 3 ½ tablespoons corn or potato starch
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs yolks, separated
- 8 oz. dark chocolate 73%, chopped
- 3 egg white
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Chop up your chocolate and add it to a medium saucepan with the coconut milk.
- Heat coconut milk and chocolate but do not allow to boil.
- In a small bowl separate the egg yolks and white. Set aside the whites for the meringue in another bowl.
- Beat egg yolks and set aside.
- In another bowl mix corn starch and sugar together, then whisk into hot chocolate milk mixture.
- Cook over low to medium heat stirring constantly until thickened. Remove about 1/2 cup of milk mixture and whisk it into the egg yolks.
- Return that egg mixture back into the rest of the ingredients in your saucepan. Cook another 5-10 minutes on low heat until very thick.
- Remove from heat. Pour into a baked pie shell.
- Whip meringue.
- Cover pie with meringue while filling is still hot, and be sure to bring the meringue all the way to the edges.
- Bake the pie at 300 degrees for 20-30 minutes until the meringue is light brown.
- Cool and serve.
Rejoicing in the Season! Laurie