Saturday, December 26, 2009

Chocolate Cream Pie

Oh do I have a treat for my diary-free friends tonight!  I made some fabulous desserts for Christmas that I am so excited to share with you.  I can't wait to hear how they turn out for you too!

First, I made this incredible chocolate cream pie because this is my dad's favorite dessert, and, oh my! I can't even tell you how long it has been since I have had chocolate cream pie. Well, mainly because it is just that - - a cream pie.  And when's the last time you went to Marie Callendars and asked for a dairy free cream pie. Yeah. That's what I thought.

Girlfriends, get ready to indulge...

First, the crust.  Roll out your favorite pie crust recipe. I was lucky to have my mom work her magic for me:




Now the ingredients for the amazing pie itself.
  • 14 oz. coconut milk
  • 3 ½ tablespoons corn or potato starch
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs yolks, separated
  • 8 oz. dark chocolate 73%, chopped
*** Meringue ***
  • 3 egg white
  • ¼ tsp cream of tartar
  • 3 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
***Pastry for single crust pie ***

How to:

  • Chop up your chocolate and add it to a medium saucepan with the coconut milk.


  • Heat coconut milk and chocolate but do not allow to boil.
  • In a small bowl separate the egg yolks and white. Set aside the whites for the meringue in another bowl.
  • Beat egg yolks and set aside.
  • In another bowl mix corn starch and sugar together, then whisk into hot chocolate milk mixture.
  • Cook over low to medium heat stirring constantly until thickened. Remove about 1/2 cup of milk mixture and whisk it into the egg yolks. 


  • Return that egg mixture back into the rest of the ingredients in your saucepan. Cook another 5-10 minutes on low heat until very thick.
  • Remove from heat. Pour into a baked pie shell.
  • Whip meringue.
  • Cover pie with meringue while filling is still hot, and be sure to bring the meringue all the way to the edges. 


  • Bake the pie at 300 degrees for 20-30 minutes until the meringue is light brown. 


  • Cool and serve.   






My family was impressed and happily ate the whole dairy free pie! I can't wait to hear from you.

     Rejoicing in the Season! Laurie

No comments: