Friday, December 11, 2009

Molasses Christmas Cookies


No other cookies says "Christmas" to me than these delicious molasses cookies.  My mom made them every year while I was growing up, and I love, love, love the smell of molasses cookies filling the house. Now I get to bake these for my family.

Even better I use Spectrum Organic Shortening and I leave out the transfat.  If you haven't baked with Spectrum, you need to go down the health food aisle and pick up a container for yourself. You won't be disappointed!

So here's how you can bake up a batch for your family tonight!

Ingredients:
  • ¾ cup Spectrum Shortening
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ cup molasses dark
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • ½ tsp cloves, ground
  • ½ tsp ginger, ground
  • ½ tsp salt
Directions:
  • Melt shortening in microwave or on stovetop, and let it cool.  Since it is literally freezing here in the NW, I cover mine with plastic wrap and set it outside while I mix the dry ingredients.
  • Add sugar, molasses, and egg to the melted shortening, and beat well.
  • Mix all dry ingredients together and add to liquids.
  • Chill for an hour.


  • Roll in balls, then roll in sugar.


  • Space about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. I LOVE my Silpats! Do you use them???
  • Bake at 375 for 8 minutes for chewy and 10 minutes for crunchy.


These go so fast in my house!




Note: It's really easy to double this recipe, and when I do, I use 1 cup sugar and 1 cup brown sugar.

          ~Christmas Blessings from Laurie

No comments: