Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Harvest Soup



Harvest Soup

1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1# ground meat (I used turkey)
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
3 red potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 acorn squash, peeled and chopped
1 (15oz) can kidney beans, drained
1 (10oz) can diced tomatoes
4-6 cups chicken broth
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground allspice
Salt & Pepper

Directions:

Saute onion and garlic in a little bit of oil for about 3-5 minutes.   Add meat.  Cook until brown, drain fat.   Place meat/onion in large stock pot.   Add potatoes, squash, kidney beans, and tomatoes.   Pour 4-6 cups of chicken broth on top (should barely cover ingredients).   Add cloves & allspice.  Mix well.   Bring to boil, then simmer on stove for 45 minutes to 1 hour.   Potatoes and squash should be soft. 


Verdict:

When I first read this recipe, I was kind of dreading it because it had so many ingredients, especially the kind that involves a lot of peeling and chopping.   I had all of the ingredients for 2 weeks (meat was in freezer) before I ended up making it, but after the first bite, it was all worth it!   This soup is full of nutritional yummy!   Everyone had seconds and thirds, except for the 2 year old who kept complaining it was "hot".   The 6 year old kept asking what would happen if you ate too much good for you food.    They also topped theirs with cheddar cheese.   I think it could have used a little more salt (which we added at the table), but I had also only used 2 cups of  broth and then for the rest just used water.   I guess I should have added a little more salt or my magic broth.    I would definitely make this again.

For some reason I was also craving Irish Soda Bread, so we had that as our bread for the meal to go along with the soup, but I also think we counted it as our dessert.   I think it is the first time I've made that bread on any other day other St. Patrick's Day.  

No comments: