Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Curried Corn Fritters

 

 Not such a great photo...I took it last minute, but wait till you make it! Oh, this is a keeper!

My family isn't too keen on spicy anything, so I was a bit hesitant when I first read the title of this recipe in a recent book, Tea, by Sarina Jacobson, which I picked up in Ashland while at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival.   But once I read the ingredient list, I knew I absolutely had to try it! I used fresh corn from Iowa which my husband cut off the cob for me, and fresh green beans someone so graciously gave us at church. Tonight, all the ingredients came together, and I paired this with grilled salmon.

The big guy loved it! The littlest guy wanted more, more, more please. And the other guy ate it, no comment.

I didn't have curry paste, so just substituted curry powder. And I omitted the cilantro since all I had was parsley. Also, I used non-dairy cheese, so this was dairy free for me.


Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time:  15 minutes

Serves:  makes about 10 fritters

Ingredients:

2 cups corn , cooked
½ cup green beans, trimmed & chopped
2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped  (I omitted)
2 eggs, large
¼ cup yellow cheese, grated  (I used almond cheese)
¼ cup soft white cheese, cottage, cream, ricotta (I used tofutti cream cheese)
4 tablespoons rice flour
4 tablespoons flour
1 tsp salt
2 tablespoons indian curry paste, OR  2 tsp curry powder
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
oil for frying



Directions:

In a large bowl, mix together corn, green beans, cilantro, eggs and cheeses.
In a separate bowl, mix together flours, salt, curry/paste, and brown sugar. Add flour mixture to corn mixture and stir until well combined.

In large frying pan over medium heat, heat 1 tsp of oil. Drop scoops (I use Pampered Chef medium scoop) of batter into the pan about an inch apart and gently press to flatten. Fry about 2 minutes until brown. Flip patties and fry other side until brown.

Transfer to a paper towel on a wire bakers rack to drip off excess oil. Continue frying in batches.

Serve warm with butter and/or honey.

No comments: