Thursday, October 8, 2009

Autumn Sausage Casserole


This is an easy, yummy dish that is like eating a bowl full of Fall. It was originally from the Taste of Home magazine website, but I found it on my favorite crockpot website. The only raisins left in the house was one small box, so I also added a small box of craisins to equal 1/2 cup, which I think just intensified the fall flavor. I was also out of brown sugar, but you couldn't tell. It seemed sweet enough for me with the apples and cinnamon. I doubled the spices and put it in my crockpot all day.



Autumn Sausage Casserole

  • 4-6 Servings
  • Prep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.

Ingredients

  • 1 pound bulk pork sausage
  • 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 3 cups cooked long grain rice
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/3 cup minced parsley
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper

Directions

  • In a large skillet, cook the sausage, apple, onion and carrots over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
  • Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.

1 comment:

Darcy said...

This was a very good dish. Super easy, light, and a perfect meal on a chilly night!

I took it down to my mom's to try it out on her as my husband doesn't love all the fuffy ingredients :) We all enjoyed it and the kids loved it too!