Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Carmel Apples


Yesterday was a blustery day, straight out of The Hundred Acre Woods: leaves blowing, trees bending, wind howling....I was expecting to see Winnie the Pooh and Christopher Robin appear in my backyard.  The kind of day that calls for something warm and fallish....something like Carmel Apples, Hot Cocoa and a warm kitchen.  So while the Mongolian Beef was simmering in the large crockpot, I tried something new in the smaller crock.

I threw in a bag of carmels, which my helpers excitedly peeled open, added a couple tablespoons of water, turned the crockpot on low for an hour and stirred it a few times. How easy was that!  My kids loved dipping the apples, and I barely managed to get some photos taken because they were dying to eat them immediately. 


I'm trying to broaden my scope of uses for the crockpot...thinking outside the normal "stew" and assuming that most items that can be melted/simmered on the stovetop, can also be done in the crock.

No comments: