Monday, October 12, 2009

Crockpot Tuscan Chicken and Artichokes

I can't get the picture to download for some reason, so I'll post the recipe and then hopefully get the picture up at some point.


I got this recipe from Parents Magazine (March '08). It has fast become one of our family's favorite. I've tried it with both fresh and frozen artichokes, fresh and frozen chicken, chicken thighs, chicken breast, and even sausage (our favorite is Aidell's chicken and apple sausage from Costco or Trader Joes.) I've forgotten the tomatoes and subbed broccoli for zucchini. The best is the way the couscous turns out by being cooked in the broth. After it cooks I throw the ingredients back in the crock and serve it out of there (less clean up). My kids love it, but they are also weird and love most all veggies, so can't say if it is kid friendly meal. Of course you can always serve it over egg noodles rather than couscous.

It took me awhile before I was able to find the seasoning. I finally found Greek seasoning and use that, but the first several times I made this recipe I just made my own Mediterranean seasoning by mixing: 2 Tbs dried basil, 4 tsp marjoram, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp dried lemon peel (I think I actually used lemon pepper), and 1/8 tsp ground bay leaves.


Crockpot Tuscan Chicken and Artichokes

2 pkgs (9 oz each) frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted and divided
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (14 oz.) chicken broth
2 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken thighs
1 tsp. Mediterranean or Greek seasoning
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1 cup halved grape tomatoes
1 pkg (11 oz) dry whole-wheat couscous
Chopped parsley, optional

1) In a 3 1/2 or 4-quart slow cooker, combine one package of artichoke hearts, the onion, garlic, and broth. Add chicken and sprinkle it with Mediterranean seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours. Then place zucchini, tomatoes, and second package of artichokes in the cooker; re-cover and heat for another 15 minutes, or until veggies and cooked.

2) Remove chicken and vegetables with a slotted spoon; cover them with foil to keep warm. Stir the couscous into the remaining liquid. Cover and cook 5 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed. Serve chicken and vegetables over couscous. Top with parsley, if desired.

Makes 6 servings.

No comments: